Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Adolescent Angst

Aside from laundry piles and baby poop disasters, the formal essay is the most frequently reoccuring challenge in my life. I obviously like to write. I obviously have things to say. Why do I have so much trouble starting an essay? I have a 6-page paper due on Monday for my Adolescent Lit class. Blegggh. I've procrastinated for an entire week, and I'm now forcing myself to acknowledge the impending deadline.

I've decided to procrastinate further by blogging about my angst. I'm hoping that this will get the creative juices a-flowing.

What is this terrible essay assignment anyway? Well, dear reader, it's not a terrible essay assignment. I am just a terrible essay-starter. I make a really big deal out of getting started on my papers. I work myself up, I talk to people in a whiny, impatient tone (especially if someone actually needs something from me), my skin gets itchy, I pace, I have uncontrollable gas, I go on killing sprees... you get the idea. (I'm kidding about the gas!) Anyhmm, my professor is asking us to discuss the themes of alienation and identity in any four novels we've read this semester.

Tit, right?

So why am I making this so hard?

:-(

I need an opener. Like a quote. Or a WOW thing. I can't get started without one.

I'm really open to any suggestions you've got. Actually, you probably shouldn't even talk to me unless you've got something good. I'm on edge, and I really don't have time for your shit.

See what I mean?

5 comments:

  1. did you read the yellow wallpaper?
    actually- what did you read?

    you tell me what you read, and i will tell you how to start,

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, i read the yellow wallpaper last semester.
    the books i'm using for the essay are: i am the messenger, sold, the absolutely true diary of a part time indian, and lemonade mouth. they're all young adult lit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE i am the messanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    loved it!
    i don't know the others. can you write on just one?or do you have to write on all three?

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have to use a total of 4 books, and one of them has to be i am the messenger.

    have you read stuck in neutral? i think i'm going to use it instead of one of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sorry i haven't.
    but if it makes you feel any better, i totally have to have a big paper written by tomorrow and i've slacked for weeks. every week i'm like "oh yeah i'm going to turn in a paper this week guys" and then i dont.... great huh?

    ReplyDelete