Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Quiet Grace

We had TG (Thanksgiving) dinner at my future sister-in-law's condo today. She just moved in and it already looks great. We drank lots of wine and ate awesome food, and I didn't even eat too much of it. No holiday over-eating guilt here!

Maybe it's the wine talking, but I am actually feeling a little guilty tonight because I never verbally stated the things for which I'm most thankful. I guess I was waiting for some sort of "Grace" ritual before TG dinner, but it never happened. Everyone started eating, and I just sat there peevishly waiting for someone to speak up. (Peevish! HA!) After like, five full minutes, I picked up my fork as if I hadn't been waiting for anything. I just really like some good old Grace before a holiday meal, but I didn't want to interrupt everyone. I just didn't want to be that guy. Not with my fiance's family, anyway.

So here I am, alone at my own dining table. Beside my laptop is an unopened can of Diet Coke. Before I crack it open, I'll Grace it up real nice.

This year, I am thankful for the intangibles in my life: the people, the love, the health, etc. Like most folks, we haven't had a fortunate financial year. We do the best we can with what we have, and our lives are full and happy despite tough times. James and Cece make each day meaningful and important. I am most thankful for my two wonderful, exhausting, impossibly cute kids. This is Cece's first TG, and I'm thankful that it was such a nice one. She had a great day. I'm glad she has a loving family that gave her such a nice first Thanksgiving. I waited my whole life for Cece, my daughter, my beloved, and she is everything I always hoped I'd have. I am also incredibly thankful for my James. OMG I love him like no mother has ever loved a son. To borrow a quote from the pudgy, intense woman from The Real Housewives of New Jersey, "we're thick as thieves!" That's me and James. Real thick. I love the shit out of him.

And also, and of course, and obviously... I am thankful for Gene, and my parents, and family and friends, and Gene's family, and the Kircanskis, and the good health this year has brought us. Gene's pepere was really sick this year, but he made some miraculous comebacks. He tricked us! I love him so much. I hope he has another eighty-eight years of good health, because I really like it when he's around. He's old, and sometimes he's wobbly, but he always plays with James and Cece, no matter how sick he feels. He's always so nice to them. He's so nice to everyone. He's probably been nice to every person he's met in the last eighty-eight years. My god, I'm crying. I am going to open my Diet Coke.

MMM that first sip feels so good!!

Ok, well, lastly, I'm thankful for you, for reading my blog. So far, I think that's just Erin... so Erin, if you're reading this, thanks. And have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

  1. haha. i am reading this.
    and you're welcome. i'll always be here reading.
    love you!
    (p.s. i just remembered we talked about wine tonight... and its 10 and im in my pajamas in the riv.- sorry) want to wine it up tomorrow night? i'm not working monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi lovie. i'm bookmarking your blog to my faves.

    i just wanted to say how thankful i am for having james and cece in my life, too. the past year for me has had a lot of ups and downs and disappointments, and the year ahead holds a lot of uncertainty at the moment. but no matter what happens, i know i can get a smile out of them, and that james is the only boy i know who i trust to never break my heart :)

    well, him and pop. love u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohhhh! that's so nice.
    you're right, james will never break your heart. and i'll always be your best friend, even if you leave me for california.

    ReplyDelete