Friday, November 20, 2009

Little Black Book

While I was watching TV the other day, I reached into the end table's drawer to find the remote control. The remote, of course, was not there. I was surprised to instead find a small black book bound in textured leather with a gold emblem on its cover. I instantly knew the book looked familiar. I remember seeing it in my mom's desk drawer when I was a kid. I remember thinking it looked magical.

I didn't have the same sentiment when I saw it in my own drawer the other day. I was a little pissed. My mom just moved and made me take back the hundreds of books she was storing for me for the last few years.  My house is small, so I'd been frusturated about the space I had to give up to accomodate all those books. To be honest, finding the book she'd stashed in my drawer was a little annoying. Until I read it. Then I decided to shut the hell up.

The book: The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.
Who is this guy and how does he know so much about me?
Of course, I'd seen his name before, listed after one of his quotes on a greeting card or maybe on some weird inspirational thing (can't think of a good example?)  Out of context, his quotes are kind of vague and don't pack much punch. In the book, they're beautiful and insightful.

This is one of my favorite passages:

"Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon which your reason and your judgement wage war against your passion and your appetite. . . . Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul. If either your sails or your rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas."

Ummm... how did he know that about me?
Also, why am I being so self-centered about it?
More on K.G. later.
I'm looking forward to an early night.

1 comment:

  1. haha kahlil and i go way back. i'd consider him a bestie, i guess. love the prophet. i've got a few other of his books. i'll see if i can find them for you.

    ReplyDelete